Now Playing
KISS104 FM
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Throwbacks

Posted: November 05, 2018

Man dies 8 years after swallowing snail on dare that left him paralyzed

8 Years After Swallowing Snail on Dare That Left Him Paralyzed, Man Dies

By Shelby Lin Erdman, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

SYDNEY, Australia —

An Australian man died Friday surrounded by family and friends eight years after swallowing a garden snail on a dare from his friends at a backyard party.

>> Read more trending news 

Student athlete and rugby player Sam Ballard, 28, who was 19 when he ate the snail in 2010, was paralyzed after he was infected with rat lungworm, a rare parasitic infection linked to the snail, according to the Independent.

Ballard fell into a coma for 420 days after developing a type of meningitis, which most people recover from, but he didn’t, suffering a severe brain infection instead, Sky News reported.

He was left paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair.

>> Trending: 17 rattlesnakes found in West Virginia man’s home; he’s accused of taking them from national forest

He died after years of medical complications.


There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

 
 
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!