Now Playing
KISS104 FM
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Throwbacks
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
KISS104 FM
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Throwbacks

national

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >

Mother, daughter arrested, accused of beating student at bus stop 

A mother and daughter accused of beating an Atlanta Public School student at a bus stop last month have been arrested. 

>> Read more trending news

Tayza Danielle Harris and daughter Chelsea Monicque Harris remain in the Fulton County Jail on aggravated assault, aggravated battery cruelty to children and disrupting public school charges, according to jail records. 

The women have been on the run for more than a month since the Nov. 3 attack at a bus stop in southwest Atlanta. 

Tayza Harris, 44, and Chelsea, 24, began arguing with the Bunche Middle School student, who was getting on the bus at the time of the attack, according to an Atlanta Public Schools police report. 

Authorities said the student threw his bookbag at Chelsea Harris, who “swung” at him, but missed. 

The two women then began attacking the boy, with one of them pulling out a knife and stabbing him, according to the report. He suffered cuts on his head, right hand and ear. 

At one point, police said, Tayza Harris’ son joined in on the fight. 

>> Related: Georgia trucker runs over disabled wife in argument over his ‘infidelity’

Through her lawyer, Tayza Harris denied the charges and said the student was attacking her son, WSB-TV reported. 

6-year-old boy makes $11 million doing toy reviews on YouTube

A 6-year-old boy is making millions for his family by reviewing toys on YouTube.

Forbes list of 2017’s highest-paid YouTube stars has the child, who only goes by Ryan and is the face of the Ryan ToysReview channel, is listed as making $11 million pretax income. 

A 2016 profile of Ryan shows that the then-5-year-old started reviewing toys on the website after seeing other kids talking about playthings.

>> Read more trending news

“Ryan was watching a lot of toy review channels — some of his favorites are EvanTubeHD and Hulyan Maya — because they used to make a lot of videos about Thomas The Tank Engine, and Ryan was super into Thomas,” his mother, who chooses remains anonymous, said in an interview with TubeFilter. “One day, he asked me, ‘How come I’m not on YouTube when all the other kids are?’ So we just decided — yeah, we can do that. Then, we took him to the store to get his very first toy — I think it was a Lego train set — and it all started from there.”

2016 profile of Ryan in The Verge says Ryan’s mother started the channel at 3 years old. In under two years time, he surpassed the number of subscribers of the two channels that inspired him. His mother has been able to quit her job as a high school chemistry teacher to devote herself to Ryan’s channel full time. The Washington Post reported that Ryan’s last name and location is kept private.

Today, he has over 10 million subscribers with more than 16.8 billion views on his videos.

Take a look at one of Ryan’s most popular videos, which shows him playing with toys from Disney Pixar’s “Cars,” franchise, below.

Deputies: Man returning home from church killed by alleged drunken driver

A Texas man on his way home from church in Montgomery County was killed by a suspected drunken driver, sheriff’s deputies said.

>> Read more trending news

The crash happened just before 8:30 p.m. Monday on Hardin Store Road near the Union Pacific Railroad tracks in Magnolia, KTRK reported.

Witnesses said a man driving a silver pickup truck crashed head-on into a black pickup, whose driver was headed home from a nearby church, KTRK reported.

The driver of the silver pickup was taken to the hospital in serious condition after being cut out of the truck.

Deputies said the driver of the silver truck will face charges, KTRK reported.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand calls Trump tweet 'a sexist smear'

Update 3:45 p.m. ET Dec. 12: White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders denied that a tweet sent Tuesday morning by President Donald Trump was sexist and claimed it was instead about reforming campaign finance laws.

“Only if your mind was in the gutter would you have read it that way,” Huckabee Sanders said. “He’s obviously talking about political partisan games. ... This isn’t new.”

Trump was roundly criticized Tuesday after he called Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a “lightweight” and a “total flunky” who would “do anything” for campaign contributions. His tweet came after Gillibrand called for the president’s resignation amid allegations of sexual misconduct levied against him by more than a dozen women.

Original report: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) called a Tuesday morning tweet directed at her by President Donald Trump “a sexist smear” and vowed that it “would not silence me,” CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

In a tweet posted just after 8 a.m. ET, Trump characterized the Democrat as a “lightweight” and a “total flunky” who would “do anything” for campaign contributions.

The president did not elaborate when reporters shouted questions to him during a midday signing ceremony for a defense spending bill, CNN reported.

The tweet came a day after Gillibrand called for Trump to resign over allegations of sexual assault, CNN reported Monday.

At a news conference Tuesday, Gillibrand called the tweet derogatory and an example of the president’s “name calling,” CNN reported.

“I see it as a sexist smear. I mean that's what it is," Gillibrand said. “It's part of the president's efforts of name calling and it's not going to silence me. It's intended to silence me. It's not going to silence the women who have stood up against him directly, and it's not going to silence the millions of women who been speaking out every day since his inauguration about things they disagree with.”

According to Federal Election Commission documents, Trump donated $4,800 to Gillibrand for Senate in 2010 and $2,100 to Gillibrand Victory Fund in 2007, CNN reported.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren defended Gillibrand on Twitter, calling out the president.

“Are you really trying to bully, intimidate and slut-shame @SenGillibrand?” she wrote. “Do you know who you're picking a fight with? Good luck with that, @realDonaldTrump. Nevertheless, #shepersisted.”

Geminid meteor shower to peak in coming days

The peak of the Geminid meteor shower is set to make for a spectacular view of the cosmos this month.

December’s robust Geminids are known to throw as many as 120 bright meteors per hour and can be viewed during the evening hours as well as predawn. Astronomers expect the most meteors to be visible Tuesday night through Thursday. 

“This is it, the shower we’ve all been waiting for,” astronomer Bob King said in his Dec. 11 column for Sky and Telescope. “Not only is it the year’s most prolific shower, the moon is essentially out of the picture.”

In 2016, the luminous glow of a full moon obscured the zippy Geminids, but this year the moon is in its crescent phase, a slender slice of light in the sky that shouldn’t interrupt the show. 

>> Read more trending news

The Geminids are unique not just in quantity but also birthplace. Most meteor showers come from comets, roiling cauldrons of gas, dust, ice and rock that have glowing heads and tails. According to NASA, Geminids appear as the Earth crosses the path of an inactive chunk of rock in space that doesn’t shed debris. The rock has been named 3200 Phaethon.

“Phaethon’s nature is debated,” NASA astronomer Bill Cooke said. “It’s either a near-Earth asteroid or an extinct comet, sometimes called a rock comet.”

The Geminids are Cooke’s favorite “because they defy explanation.”

King cautions that the estimate of 120 meteors per hour is an idealized number, visible only under perfect conditions in rural areas. 

“Depending on the time you observe and local light pollution, counts will vary,” King said. “At my observing site, which is handicapped by minor to moderate sky glow, I cut the rate in half to keep expectations realistic. A meteor a minute is certainly nothing to complain about.” 

The Geminids are the namesake of the Gemini constellation, from which they appear to radiate. The shower can be viewed with the naked eye over clear, dark skies across most of the world.

As long as stargazers are away from bright lights and look up in any direction, they should be able to see the shower, according to NASA. The shower peaks just after 9 p.m. Dec. 13 and lasts until dawn Dec. 14.

“When you see a meteor, try to trace it backwards,” Cooke said. “If you end up in the constellation Gemini, there's a good chance you've seen a Geminid.”

NASA will broadcast the Geminid shower live on Ustream Dec. 13 from the Automated Lunar and Meteor Observatory at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

Alabama dad criticizes Roy Moore in memory of his gay daughter

An Alabama father who said that his daughter took her life because “she didn’t want to be gay anymore” stood outside Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore’s rally in Midland City on Monday to urge people not to vote for the former judge.

>> Read more trending news

Photos from the rally showed peanut farmer and Midland City native Nathan Mathis holding a photo of his daughter in a basketball uniform. Near his feet was a sign that said in bold, bright red letters, “Please don’t vote for Roy Moore.”

“Judge Roy Moore called my daughter Patti Sue Mathis a pervert because she was gay,” the sign said. “A 32 year old Roy Moore dated teenage girls ages 14 to 17. So that makes him a pervert of the worst kind.”

Moore has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women who said they were teenagers when the former judge approached them. Among them is Leigh Corfman, who told AL.com she was 14 years old when Moore initiated sexual contact with her. She told the news site that they did not have intercourse, but that Moore touched her inappropriately.

Moore has denied the accusations.

Mathis told reporters Monday that he had mixed feelings about going to Moore’s rally.

“But somebody needs to speak up,” he said. “And if it’s all to no avail, so be it. It won’t be the first time I’ve done something to no avail.

“(Moore) didn’t call my daughter by name (but) he said all gay people are perverts, abominations. That’s not true. We don’t need a person like that representing us in Washington. That’s why I’m here.”

In a letter published by the Dothan Eagle in 2012, Mathis wrote that his daughter took her life on March 22, 1995, when she was 23 years old, “because she didn’t want to be gay anymore.”

“She was tired of being ridiculed and made fun of,” he wrote. “She was tired of seeing how a lot of people treat gay people.”

He said his daughter turned to him for help after she decided she no longer wanted to be gay, but he said doctors kept telling the family that she couldn’t help her sexual orientation.

“Patti had been raised by going to church at Christian Home Church of Christ, and she was there almost every time the door was open,” Mathis wrote. “Patti knew the story of Sodom, for oftentimes gay bashing was preached from the pulpit. Looking back now, I wonder how Patti must have felt, or if she even knew she was gay then. I never asked her.”

>> Related: Who is Judge Roy Moore

Mathis told reporters Monday that he didn’t blame Moore, who has made numerous anti-LGBT comments over the years, for his daughter’s death.

“I’m not suggesting that,” he said. “I was anti-gay myself. I said bad things to my daughter myself, which I regret. But I can’t take back what happened to my daughter.

“(Moore is) supposed to uphold the Constitution. The Constitution said all men are created equal. Well how is my daughter a pervert just because she was gay?”

Alabama voters go to the polls Tuesday to decide whether Moore or his rival, Democrat Doug Jones, will fill the U.S. Senate seat vacated in February by Jeff Sessions when he was sworn in as U.S. attorney general. Polls close at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

New Mexico policeman who adopted drug-addicted baby receives award

A New Mexico police officer, who adopted a drug-addicted baby girl born to a woman fighting an addiction, was honored by the Albuquerque Police Department on Monday, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

>> Read more trending news

Ryan Holets received the Outstanding Service to the Community award from Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller.

The baby, who Ryan and Rebecca Holets named Hope, was born Oct. 12. She had heroin and crystal meth in her system and had to endure detox for about two weeks, suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Ryan Holets said his wife was the real hero, KRQE reported.

“She didn’t hesitate, because you know, she had to take a few seconds to understand what I just said, but she immediately said, ‘Let’s do this, this is a wonderful thing,’” he said.

>> Police officer adopts homeless mother’s addicted child

Ryan Holets was responding to a possible theft at an Albuquerque convenience store on Sept. 23. As he was leaving, Holets said he noticed a couple sitting outside against a cement wall, allegedly shooting up heroin. He turned on his body camera and confronted the couple, and then he noticed the woman was pregnant.

“It's not every day I see a sight like that and it just made me really sad,” Holets told CNN.

Crystal Champ, 35, told Holets that she was eight months pregnant.

“You're going to kill your baby,” Holets told Champ. “Why you have to be doing that stuff? It's going to ruin your baby.”

Already a father of four -- including a 10-month-old infant -- the officer decided to adopt the baby when it was born, and his wife agreed.

Rebecca Holets said she was excited about the prospect of adopting.

“He walked in and said, ‘So, I met this lady today,’” she told the Albuquerque Journal. “I thought that was an interesting choice of words. He said, ‘She’s shooting up heroin and eight months pregnant. I agreed to adopt her baby.’”

The adoption will become final by the end of the year.

The Holetses agreed to pay for counseling for Champ and the father of her baby, who was the man seen in the video, in addition to attorney’s fees for the adoption.

Charles Barkley says he’s ‘nervous’ about Alabama special election, Roy Moore

Alabama native and former NBA player Charles Barkley says he is nervous about Tuesday’s special election to fill a vacant U.S. Senate seat in the state.

Speaking to CNN Monday, Barkley indicated he was worried about the outcome of the race, between Democrat Doug Jones and Republican nominee Roy Moore. Barkley is supporting Jones.

“I got to say, I can’t believe we’re in this situation where the people of Alabama are going to turn a blind eye to all the accusations, all the rhetoric, all the racist B.S.,” the NBA Hall of Famer said.

>> Read more trending news

Referring to Moore, Barkley later said that, on paper, there was no chance Moore would get elected.

“If somebody actually sent me a movie script and showed me these two candidates, there’s no way that you say -- there’s no way that candidate can get elected. With all the ... accusations, all the times he’s gotten let go, fired, kicked off benches. Some of the things he’s said. There’s no way that person would win an election.”

Moore has been accused of pursuing sexual relationships with a number of teenage girls years ago. Many of the women who have come forward said they were minors at the time and that Moore was in his 30s. Moore has denied the allegations.

Yahoo! Sports reported that, earlier Monday, Barkley was at a Birmingham, Alabama, rally in support of Jones and was to-the-point about the election.

“At some point, we’ve got to stop looking like idiots to the nation,” Barkley said. “I love Alabama, but we’ve got to draw a line in the sand.”

Barkley told AL.com he will do his part to ensure a win for Jones.

"It can’t be Roy Moore,” he said. “To me it’s silliness that this guy's trying to win.”

“I’m going to do all I can,” he added. “I don’t want this guy representing my state.”

Polls for Tuesday’s election close at 7 p.m.

Twin NBA stars pay off customers' layaway orders at Philadelphia Walmart

NBA stars Marcus and Markieff Morris generated some Christmas cheer among Walmart layaway shoppers waiting in line at a Northeast Philadelphia Walmart on Monday, footing the bill for $6,000 in presents, WPVI reported.

>> Read more trending news

The twin brothers grew up in North Philadelphia. Marcus Morris plays for the Boston Celtics, while his brother plays for the Washington Wizards.

Their basketball schedules prevented the brothers from visiting the store in person, but the news was delivered by their mother, Thomasine Morris, WPVI reported. It was the final day to pay for layaway items, and customers were moved by the gesture.

“God bless them. God bless them!” customer Roberta Williams, of Germantown, told WPVI. “It's wonderful what they are doing for the people.”

“It's a blessing to be able to give people anything,” Thomasine Morris said. “Even though we play in Boston, even though we play in Washington, Philly is still our family.”

Anthony Bourdain, Tom Colicchio slam Mario Batali amid allegations

It doesn’t seem that the sexual misconduct allegations brought against celebrity chef Mario Batali were that shocking to some of his colleagues.

In an article published in Eater New York Monday, four women detailed their alleged experiences with sexual misconduct against the “The Chew” star. One chef said that 10 years ago, Batali groped her with his bare hands after spilling wine on her shirt, while another woman said that he inappropriately grabbed her from behind and held her against his own body.

>> Read more trending news

Following the allegations, fellow celebrity chefs including Anthony Bourdain and Tom Colicchio slammed Batali and seemed to insinuate that they knew about the allegations ahead of time.

Related: Chef Mario Batali leaves ‘The Chew’ amid sexual harassment allegations

“No. Trust me. Monday is really gonna suck,” Bourdain wrote on Twitter Sunday. He later followed up, writing, “It’s where you stand when the people you care about and admire do awful things that matters. Keeping head down and hoping it goes away? No.”

When the story broke early Monday, Bourdain took to Twitter again, tweeting, “It’s Batali. And it’s bad.”

“Top Chef” star Colicchio retweeted Bourdain’s tweet about Batali adding, “And no one should be surprised.”

Following the allegations, Batali released a statement to Eater, saying in part, “I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >