Now Playing
KISS104 FM
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Throwbacks
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
KISS104 FM
Last Song Played
Today's R&B and Throwbacks

entertainment

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

'Remember Me' songwriters on bittersweet Globes morning

It's a bittersweet morning for the songwriters of "Remember Me" from "Coco."

Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez learned of their Golden Globe nomination just as a bomb exploded at New York City's busiest subway station. The couple said they turned on the television to watch the Globe nominations when news of the Port Authority explosion broke Monday.

"It's a strange morning here in New York," Anderson-Lopez said.

This is the second Golden Globe nomination for the married songwriting pair. They were nominated in 2014 for "Let It Go" from "Frozen," which won the Academy Award for original song.

The two are now at work on "Frozen 2" and the Broadway version of "Frozen."

The couple says it's a "giant thrill" to be nominated, but they didn't plan to do much celebrating. Their cat is terminally ill and may be put down today.

"We'll probably sing 'Remember Me' to him," Anderson-Lopez said.

"That song has come in handy with the passing of many loved ones as we've been working on that movie," Robert Lopez added. "It's very sad, but it's a good song to have."

The song is central to the story in "Coco," about a young boy who learns about himself and his family when he pursues a life of music, which they forbid.

Anderson-Lopez said her husband performed the song at his mother's funeral earlier this year.

"We're dropping a lot of feelings," she said. "It's one of those days."

Longtime NPR host Ashbrook facing misconduct allegations

The host of one of NPR's most successful programs has been suspended while the network investigates sexual misconduct allegations.

The allegations against "On Point" host Tom Ashbrook include that he engaged in "creepy" sex talks and gave unwanted hugs, neck and back rubs to 11 mostly young women and men who worked on the show. They were contained in a document and confirmed in multiple interviews by WBUR-FM, the Boston station that produces the show.

Ashbrook was put on leave last week.

In a text to the station, Ashbrook said: "I am sure that once the facts come out that people will see me for who I am — flawed but caring and decent in all my dealings with others."

"On Point" is carried by more than 290 NPR stations. Ashbrook has hosted for 16 years.

___

Information from: WBUR-FM, http://www.wbur.org

Ellen DeGeneres’ California home threatened by wildfires

The Thomas Fire is impacting thousands of California residents, including talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

>> Read more trending news

DeGeneres tweeted Sunday night that her Santa Barbara home is in danger from the raging wildfire.

“We just had to evacuate our pets,” she wrote. “I’m praying for everyone in our community and thankful to all the incredible firefighters.”

The Thomas Fire has burned through at least 200,000 acres through Sunday evening and also interrupted transmission lines in the Santa Barbara area, leaving more than 85,000 customers without power.

>> PHOTOS: California wildfires burn thousands of acres

The fire began seven days ago and has forced more than 88,000 people to evacuate their homes, KCBS reported.

More than 4,000 firefighters have been deployed to the firefight.

Christopher Plummer gets Golden Globe nomination for role taken over from Kevin Spacey

The Golden Globes nominations were announced Monday, and among the surprise shut outs and front runners, Christopher Plummer’s nomination is gaining attention.

>> Read more trending news

The actor quickly replaced Kevin Spacey in the role of J. Paul Getty in the Ridley Scott film “All the Money in the World.” Having reshot Spacey’s parts in the film in the span of some weeks, Plummer has been nominated for best supporting actor.

Related: 75th Golden Globe Awards nominees announced

The decision by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which holds the award show, could be the fastest turnaround from performance to nomination, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Related: Kevin Spacey scenes cut from ‘All the Money in the World’ movie, recast with Christopher Plummer

Plummer replaced Spacey in the movie, which also stars Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg, after Spacey faced multiple accusations of sexual misconduct and was cut from the film. The mystery-crime film follows the kidnapping of John Paul Getty III. 

Twitter reaction to the nomination was mixed.

EW.com reported that Plummer’s nomination indicates that the final cut of the film was done just in time for the Dec. 4 deadline to be screened by the HFPA before nominations were made.

In addition to Plummer’s nom, “All the Money in the World” has two other nominations, including best supporting actress for Williams and best director for Scott. 

The public can view the movie Dec. 25.

Superheroes stage holiday shopping spree at Target 

Christmas shoppers can usually find superheroes on toy shelves at Target. But, here’s a twist: shoppers at a Kansas City area Target discovered superheroes shopping for toys at Target.

>> Read more trending news

Iron Man, Thor, Supergirl, Snow White and Captain America were among the comic book heroes shopping for kids Sunday night at the Target in Mission, Kansas, The Kansas City Star reported.

Armed with $17,000 in donations collected by Elite Comics in Overland Park, the superheroes picked out toys that will be given to kids staying at Children's’ Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, the Star reported.

“It means a lot,” said Captain America, also known as Jerry Holtorf of Overland Park.

Holtorf’s parents battled cancer. In his trips to the hospital, he said he saw children in their own fights against the disease. He wanted to help make the kids’ Christmas a happier time.

“Cancer doesn’t discriminate in age,” Holtorf said. “What (my parents) were going through in their room, a 6- or 7-year-old was going through in the next room and it breaks your heart.”

The caped crusaders summoned a rental trailer to cart away their packages, bound for children in the hospital. And if anyone wants to join the crusade, there are still opportunities ahead.

“We’re not done,” said Elite Comics owner William Binderup, who added that he will be accepting new, unwrapped toys through Dec. 22.

The Latest: Celebrity enclave under threat from wildfire

The Latest on California wildfires (all times local):

7:45 a.m.

A growing Southern California wildfire is threatening the wealthy seaside enclave of Montecito, where celebrities have evacuated estates perched on hillsides below heavy flames.

Smoke shrouded Rob Lowe's home and the actor wore a mask as he livestreamed his family leaving on Sunday. Lowe thanked fans on Instagram for their thoughts and expressed gratitude for firefighters, saying "we need you!"

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres said on Twitter that neighbors were helping each other and their animals get to safety. She said she was proud to be a part of the small, exclusive community in Santa Barbara County northwest of Los Angeles.

Retired tennis star Jimmy Connors tweeted that his property was in danger.

Many residents of Montecito and neighboring Carpinteria not under evacuation orders have opted to leave because of heavy smoke and ash blowing through.

___

5:30 a.m.

Crews aided by calm overnight winds kept a wall of flames from descending from mountains into coastal towns after a huge Southern California wildfire exploded in size over the weekend.

Thousands remain under evacuation orders Monday as the fire churns west through foothill areas of Carpinteria and Montecito, Santa Barbara County seaside towns about 75 miles (120 kilometers) northwest of Los Angeles. Much of the fire's new growth occurred on the eastern and northern fronts into unoccupied areas of Los Padres National Forest.

The fire, which had already destroyed more than 750 buildings, burned six more in Carpinteria on Sunday. It's just 10 percent contained after burning nearly 360 square miles (930 square kilometers).

Officials say the blaze, which broke out a week ago in neighboring Ventura County, is now the 5th largest in California history.

Chef Mario Batali leaves 'The Chew' amid sexual harassment allegations

Chef Mario Batali is stepping down as co-host of ABC’s cooking and lifestyle show “The Chew” after being accused of sexually harassing and inappropriately touching women, USA Today reported.

>> Read more trending news

Multiple anonymous women alleged in a story by food-trade publication Eater New York that Batali had groped their breasts or buttocks, amid other allegations.

Batali apologized and pledged to try and “regain” the “respect and trust” of his fans, family and business associates.

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt,” Batali said. “Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted.

“That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”

Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group — which services about two dozen restaurants owned by Batali, Joe Bastianich and others — confirmed that Batali “will step away from the company's operations,” USA Today reported.

“We have asked Mario Batali to step away from ‘The Chew’ while we review the allegations that have just recently come to our attention,” ABC said in a statement. “ABC takes matters like this very seriously as we are committed to a safe work environment. While we are unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with the show, we will swiftly address any alleged violations of our standards of conduct.”

Batali has been one of four co-anchors of “The Chew” since its inception in 2011, Variety reported. He also recently signed a deal with Food Network to produce new episodes of his cooking series “Molto Mario” for the first time since 2005. Food Network had no comment on the status of that project, Variety reported.

#MeToo spotlight increasingly pointed at past Trump conduct

Donald Trump sailed past a raft of allegations of sexual misconduct in last year's presidential election.

Now the national #MeToo spotlight is turning back to Trump and his past conduct. Several of his accusers are urging Congress to investigate his behavior, and a number of Democratic lawmakers are demanding his resignation.

With each day seeming to bring new headlines that force men from positions of power, the movement to expose sexual harassment has forced an unwelcome conversation on the White House. In a heated exchange with reporters in the White House briefing room on Monday, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders steadfastly dismissed accusations against the Republican president and suggested the issue had already been litigated in Trump's favor on Election Day.

But to Trump's accusers, the rising #MeToo movement is an occasion to ensure he is at last held accountable.

"It was heartbreaking last year. We're private citizens and for us to put ourselves out there to try and show America who this man is and how he views women, and for them to say, 'Eh, we don't care,' it hurt," Samantha Holvey said Monday. The former beauty queen claimed that Trump ogled her and other Miss USA pageant contestants in their dressing room in 2006.

"Let's try round two," she said. "The environment's different. Let's try again."

Holvey was one of four women to make her case against Trump on Monday, both in an NBC interview and then in a news conference. Rachel Crooks, a former Trump Tower receptionist who said the celebrity businessman kissed her on the mouth in 2006 without consent, called for Congress to "put aside party affiliations and investigate Trump's history of sexual misconduct."

"If they were willing to investigate Sen. Franken, it's only fair that they do the same for Trump," Crooks said.

Franken, the Democratic senator from Minnesota, announced last week that he would resign amid an ethics probe into accusations that he sexually harassed several women. Reps. John Conyers, D-Mich., and Trent Franks, R-Ariz., also resigned after misconduct accusations.

But a Capitol Hill investigation into Trump's conduct appears unlikely. The Senate and House Ethics Committees investigate members of Congress, not presidents, and Republican-led committees are not apt to investigate Trump on sexual misconduct unless there is some sort of connection to the ongoing Russia probe.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said Congress shouldn't investigate the allegations against Trump.

"I don't think there's any forum for us to do that," he said. "Just think about how that could be abused."

Nonetheless, several Democratic senators have seized the moment and called for Trump to step down.

"President Trump should resign," New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand told CNN on Monday. "These allegations are credible; they are numerous. I've heard these women's testimony, and many of them are heartbreaking."

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley have also called on Trump to resign.

White House aides have warily watched the movement sweep Capitol Hill, opting to repeat rote denials about allegations against the president. The president's advisers were stunned Sunday when one of the highest-ranking women in the Trump administration broke with the White House line and said the accusers' voices "should be heard."

"They should be heard, and they should be dealt with," Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said in a CBS interview. "And I think we heard from them before the election. And I think any woman who has felt violated or felt mistreated in any way, they have every right to speak up."

Haley's comments infuriated the president, according to two people who are familiar with his views but who spoke on condition of anonymity because they aren't authorized to speak publicly about private conversations. Trump has grown increasingly angry in recent days that the accusations against him have resurfaced, telling associates that the charges are false and drawing parallels to the accusations facing Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore.

Sixteen women have come forward with a range of accusations against Trump, many after the release of the "Access Hollywood" tape last October in which Trump was caught on an open microphone bragging about groping women. One woman, Summer Zevos, a contestant on Trump's reality show, "The Apprentice," sued, contending that Trump's denials of her accusations amount to false and defamatory statements.

Jessica Leeds, who appeared at Monday's news conference, recalled sitting on an airplane next to Trump in the 1970s when he began to fondle her.

"All of a sudden, he's all over me. Kissing and groping, groping and kissing," she said. "Nothing was said. It was just this silent groping going on."

Trump denied the allegations during the campaign, and Sanders did the same Monday.

"Look, as the president said himself, he thinks it's a good thing that women are coming forward, but he also feels strongly that a mere allegation shouldn't determine the course," Sanders said. "And again, the American people knew this and voted for the president. And we feel like we're ready to move forward in that process."

Sanders declined to say whether she believed the accusers or if she herself had been the victim of harassment. She grew impatient with the repeated questions and pledged to provide a list of eyewitnesses whose accounts exonerated the president.

The White House did not provide the list by late Monday.

___

Associated Press writers Zeke Miller and Richard Lardner contributed to this report from Washington.

___

Follow Lemire on Twitter at http://twitter.com/@JonLemire

___

This story has been corrected to show that Holvey was a contestant in the Miss USA pageant, not the Miss America pageant.

Tina Turner writing sequel to memoir 'I, Tina'

Tina Turner is not done telling her story.

The rock superstar is working on a sequel to her 1986 memoir "I, Tina," Atria Books told The Associated Press on Monday. The new book is called "Tina Turner: My Love Story" and will come out next October, timed to the singer's 60th year in music.

Seventy-eight year-old Turner says in a statement that she will write about everything from "finding love" to surviving a "life-threatening illness" she had never disclosed before.

Turner, who endured a horrifying marriage to musician Ike Turner, married Erwin Bach in 2013. She is known for such hits as "Proud Mary" and "What's Love Got To Do With It," the title of a 1993 biopic starring Angela Bassett as Tina Turner and Laurence Fishburne as Ike.

Mary Blige, Mariah Carey, Nick Jonas get Golden Globe nods

Pop stars are invading the Golden Globes again this year with nominees such as Mariah Carey, Nick Jonas and Mary J. Blige, who is up for two awards.

Blige earned nominations Monday for her role in the Dee Rees' period film "Mudbound." She's up for best supporting actress in a motion picture and best original song for "Mighty River," which she co-wrote with Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson.

Jonas and Carey, who has co-written most of her No. 1 hit songs, are up for their first Golden Globes, both for best original song. Carey is nominated for the Christmas tune "The Star," from the animated movie of the same name. Jonas is nominated for "Home" from the animated film "Ferdinand."

Other best original song nominees include Oscar-winning composers. Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, the husband-and-wife songwriting duo behind "Let It Go" from "Frozen," are nominated for "Remember Me" from the film "Coco," while Benj Pasek and Justin Paul — who earned an Oscar this year for "City of Stars" from "La La Land," are up for "This Is Me" from "The Greatest Showman."

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >